Sunday, February 17, 2013

Concentration and Focus

OK, would you like to really know what I teach?

I teach concentration.  And, Focus.

That's really about it.  It doesn't take a ton of God given talent to sing your part accurately in a choir (although, it certainly helps to have a few kids who are blessed).  What it does take is concentration.  Concentration is not something that comes easy to a great majority of adolescents.  For those who don't know, I teach middle school choir in a small, Midwestern town in Michigan.  Once the music is learned, I feel the most important ingredient to a successful performance is concentration.  Concentration by every individual in the group.

A typical piece of choir music is less than three minutes in length.  Countless times I ask my students, "can you concentrate 100% of the time for the next 2:30?  If we can ALL do that, we will sound great!"  As adults, you'd be amazed how difficult a task this is for MANY middle school aged kids.  Their brains are VERY active.  Often TOO active.  They are constantly bombarded by media.  It is our job, as adults in their lives, too channel that activity.  Sometimes, to even reduce that activity to a point where they can concentrate on only a few key things.

Recently, I typed out a few thoughts and put it up on the big screen in my classroom and showed it to all my choirs.  I told them that if I had a blog (and that I probably should), this is the type thing I would put on it.  It was titled, Without Distraction.  It came to me in D.E.A.R. class.  At both middle schools in town, we have a 20 minute Drop Everything And Read period in our day (reading scores have improved, too!).  I was reading a book about the science of functional singing training called Voice:  Psyche and Soma by Cornelius L. Reid and I was completely drawn in, at the moment, to what the author was discussing (I know.  Very "voice geek" of me).  Then, it happened.  I was distracted by a student who wasn't doing what he/she was supposed to be doing.  I felt as though I'd been robbed.  "The moment" was suddenly ended, and not by my choice.  I didn't do much more than send a firm, nonverbal gesture to the student, but immediately after that, began typing Without Distraction.  I don't have a copy of it in front of me, but this was the gist...


Without Distraction

When you're in the middle of reading a GREAT book and you are completely drawn into the story.  You are suddenly transported to another time and place and it's awesome!  Then, someone sneezes and instantly you are brought back to reality.

When you're in the middle of a trance-like daydream.  Complete euphoria.  Then, someone taps you on the shoulder and instantly the feeling is gone.

You're watching a movie in a theater and, like the book reading experience, you are completely drawn into the story and are transported to another time and place.  You forget where you are for awhile.  Then the person behind you bumps your seat and you are immediately brought back to the present.

Concentration isn't easy.  Especially, the 100% kind.  Focus!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like "Flow". The book is really awesome.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

    When I get into the flow during a music performance, it is the best feeling in the world! However, because I don't practice it, it is really difficult for me to get there. Not only do you have to practice the notes and rhythms, you have to practice concentration so you can easily get into the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Chris! Exactly what I'm talking about. Athletes call that "The Zone."

    Now that you mention this, there will always be ONE of these "flow" moments that sticks in my mind. Tovah was rehearsing in Doug Timmer's basement. It was the lineup of, Doug, Patrick, Mark Moore and myself. We were working up Sweet Child O' Mine and I decided to sing a harmony during the entire second verse. There was definitely a "blue haze" in the room and it was musically FANTASTIC! Goosebumps on top of goosebumps. One of my favorite musical moments EVER.

    Cos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,

    I am enjoying this blog already. This is a great topic to start with and you have a lot to say about working with teens. I look forward to reading more.

    cheers,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete