Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pride

Pride

Why is it that some people seem to have too much of it, while others don't seem to have enough?

I'm sure we've all had run-ins with someone that ended badly, simply because of pride and principle.  That's not always a bad thing, but sometimes it can be.

I also see people who don't seem to really have any pride.  They don't seem to take pride in anything they do or create.  Why is that? 

Well, for an adolescent (remember, I've been teaching middle school for seventeen years), it can be difficult.  It is much easier for a middle school kid to take no stance, than to take a stand.  For, or against, anything.  just ride the fence.

I see it with their artwork.  We have students who create beautiful artwork, yet seem to be embarrassed to take it home on the bus.  Why on earth is that??  They should be proud of their work.  Especially, if that work has won some sort of an award. 

I remember once, after an awards assembly, finding one student's award for poetry crinkled up in the trash can.  What's up with that? 

It's because of what they think is cool, or not cool. 

What I don't see are sports trophies in the trash.  It's cool to be good at sports.  Most of the athletes are quite popular and beam with pride and self-confidence.  Shouldn't the kid with the starring role in the school play behave in a similar manner?  I sure think so.  But they don't.  Singing and acting, although loved by everyone as a SPECTATOR, simply doesn't receive as much respect, it seems.  At least in my small community, they don't.  Especially for the boys.  I constantly have to remind our male musicians to take pride in what they do.  Because they are GOOD!  They SHOULD be prideful.

Like with many things in life, there is a balance.  A delicate balance between not enough, and too much pride. 

2 comments:

  1. It's happening again. I have a piece of professionally framed artwork sitting in my office at school. It belongs to one of the most popular 8th grade girls in the school. Not only did it win an award, but it was (after being professionally framed and matted) placed on display in our local hospital for A YEAR ! ! !
    This student does not have Art class this term, so the art teacher asked me if I would make sure she received it to take home. It has sat in my office for close to a week now.

    This morning, I pulled her aside and asked her about it. I eventually got around to, "why is it not cool to be good at art?" Of course she was defensive to that statement. I obviously "hit home" too soon in the conversation. You see, these types of conversations must be handled extremely delicately with adolescents. At one point she actually asked me, "why did someone thing I wanted this back?" I then turned to more of a parenting mindset and let her know that her parents would probably love to see it. She claims to be making arrangements to get picked up from school, so that she can bring it home.
    We'll see, I guess.

    ReplyDelete